After designing the CLX 50s, we realized that an affordable, race-worthy carbon wheelset was nowhere to be found—until the CL 50 Disc was developed, that is. We paired our quiver-killing CLX 50 Disc rim with DT Swiss Competition round spokes, our Aero Flange Disc hubs with DT Swiss 350 internals, and steel bearings to deliver you an exceptional wheelset at a more than accessible price.
Why disc you ask? With our disc-specific rims, you not only ditch the brake track, but you get a stronger, more impact-resistant rim. This comes at the hands of a disc-specific carbon layup that optimizes stiffness and keeps weight as close to its rim-brake brethren as possible. And all the while, you get incredible brake modulation and power in all conditions.
Sharing rims with the CLX 50s, the CL 50s feature many of the benefits as their higher-end siblings. Even though the CL 50 is similar in weight to many wheels in the “lightweight” category, aerodynamics came at the forefront of the development. With this, we jumped headlong into Computational Fluid Dynamics computer modeling to arrive at various rim shapes that could make the CL 50 as fast and light as possible. It took a while, but we narrowed the rim shape down to three contenders that were then CNC machined into rims, built into wheels, and put into the wind Tunnel.
In the tunnel, we tested every wheel, ours and the competition's, with a 24C tire (measuring 26C), as tires can drastically affect testing. We chose a modern-width tire to design our rims around because they not only allow for less tire pressure (which results in more comfort and less rolling resistance) but are also just as aerodynamically efficient when paired with the correct rim width.
Now it was time for final testing validation. The result? A 50mm-deep, 1515-gram clincher wheelset that's race-ready and wallet-friendly.
- Rim Type: Carbon clincher, 2Bliss-Ready
- Rim Material: Carbon
- Braking Surface: Disc brake only
- Rim Depth: 50mm
- Rim Width: 20.7mm internal, 29.4mm external
- Front Spoke Pattern: Two-cross/Radial (2:1)
- Rear Spoke Pattern: One-cross/Two-cross (2:1)
- Spoke Count: 21 front, 24 rear
- Spoke Type: DT Swiss Competition Race T-head
- Nipple Type: DT Swiss Pro LockBrass hexagonal
- Front Hub: Roval AFD1, Centerlock, sealed cartridge bearings, quick-release or 12mm thru-axle end cap
- Rear Hub: Roval AFD2, Centerlock, sealed cartridge bearings, DT Swiss 350 internals, 11-speed, quick-release or 142x12mm thru-axle end cap
- Assembly Method: Hand-built
- Extras: Roval steel quick-releases, Roval tubeless plugs and valves, Front quick-release & 12mm endcaps, Rear quick-release & 142x12 thru-axle endcaps
- Total Wheelset Weight: 1,515g
Customer ReviewsWrite a Review
Be the first to write a review!
Write a Review
Write a review about the Specialized ROVAL CL 50 DISC WHEELSET by completing the form below. Please complete all fields marked with an *
This item is available for International delivery. For orders outside the UK, please contact us for a quote. Read more.
UK orders are sent using Royal Mail Tracked 48, Royal Mail Recorded or Royal Mail letter post for small, light orders and Parcelforce for heavier, bulky orders. Please allow approx 2-3 days for delivery after the order has been despatched. Large and heavy items, e.g turbo trainers and work stands, will be sent by Parcelforce (UK Mainland only). Overseas orders are sent using Royal Mail International Signed For service and Royal Mail Airsure service (where permitting). Heavier items e.g. bicycles are sent using Parcelforce Worldwide. Delivery times will vary depending on destination, customs clearance, local postal service etc. Please allow up to 14 working days for delivery. Postage costs include Insurance for the value of the order. Bicycles sent within the UK are sent by Parcelforce 48 Hour Service.